Welcome

Hello and Welcome to Humble Musings. Come and catch up on me and my opinions of things that interest me (or things that I hate!) Enjoy your stay and feel free to comment below any post.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Plea for the Democrats: Or Why the Right Won’t, Fix Anything with this Election

It’s no secret that I am a left leaning Democrat. I hope it’s also no secret that I do not believe that the left has all the answers. They don’t. But I vote Democrat because I care. I care about people. I care about getting great public education. I care about jobs. And I truly believe that the government is run by the people, so I want people involved in what the government is doing, and I believe that the government, aka the people, are responsible for this country. 

Lets get the “elephant in the room” out of the way first. Jobs. The job market is in the toilet, this is true. But let me spell this out for those who may not know. The current job market was not created under the democratic/Obama administration. All of the problems we have currently; the wars, the economy, jobs, the deficit, the idea of bailing companies out. All of these things started under the Bush administration. If you don’t believe this then your a right-wing nut job and you should stop reading this now. If you are still here, then you believe the facts (look it up) and you have an open mind.

Look, I don’t want this to become a rant against Bush, but lets look at some facts. Republicans complain about “Obama’s” $787 billion stimulus package is raising the debt. That package is focused on tax relief, social security hikes, unemployment hikes, infrastructure, housing, healthcare, education, security, law enforcement. Bush on the other hand, put into place 2 different packages. The first one was a $152 billion “stimulus checks” followed by the $700 billion TARP stimulus package. But here is the problem. The $152 billion were stimulus checks to go to Regan-omics, The Trickle Down Theory. If you look at the numbers, the facts, this has never and will never work. If you give the rich more money, they buy more toys. They do not create more jobs. Check out this site: http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp. You can see that unemployment has not gone down since Regan. Period. It doesn’t work. And thats what $152 billion was spent on. The other stimulus is, TARP. And, no that hasn’t worked yet either. But here is the problem. If you think that our unemployment, or economy can be fixed in a few short years, you are a fool who knows nothing about economics. I don’t know a lot, but even I know that the collapse of our economy cannot be fixed in less then 2 years, which is the Republican and Tea Party argument against the Democratic party this year. They are using this because they believe the American people are morons. These individuals think that if they play on the fact that things are improving slowly they can convince the people that the current administration is not doing anything. Be smarter. Know that these things take time.

Now lets back up. Do I think that all of the Democratic ideas will fix everything and the country will be a paradise for everyone? No, of course not. The Democrats do not have all the best ideas. Here is the problem. The right has no new ideas. Listen to these politicians closely. They will tell you what’s wrong with this country and what the left is doing to cause these issues. They will bitch and moan and complain, but they rarely ever offer any new ideas. Oh, they will offer ideas alright. The same ideas that have been in place since 2000. The same ideas that got us into this economic mess in the first place. But they sell it. And they are selling it now. Is this every right wing candidate? No, there are some who actually have good ideas. But the majority are just spouting the same old shit, and IT DOESN’T WORK!!! But the polling data is showing that the country is leaning back to the same old same old. And if thats the way we really feel the country will improve. Fine. Vote that way. That is your right. But before you vote, do some research. Look at what the candidates have voted on in the past. You can find all this information online. 

But in the end of the day, I do not want the Executive and both Houses of Congress to be all Democratic. I want an equal representation of both ideologies to be represented. Because there are good ideas on both the left and the right. And when we bring those two together, we get the best possible solution. But at the moment, the left is offering new ideas that might make the government a bigger part, yes, when it comes to helping the middle class. But the right is offering no new ideas. And that is dangerous. So please get INVOLVED, and get INFORMED. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. I understand that everyone has their own opinion. That's great. Just make sure that they are appropriate so everyone can enjoy this site. Let's stay civil, people.